First Commerce Credit Union is a full-service financial institution offering a wide range of products and services with up-to-date technology and outstanding service. We believe in empowering our members to realize their potential and achieve their financial goals. When you bank with us, you get a truly personal experience backed by top-quality financial expertise right in your local community.
First Commerce has experienced phenomenal growth over the years because we’ve stayed true to our founders’ vision of being a financial partner for our members. From a humble desk drawer to the modern facilities and technology we offer today, we’ve grown with you and for you.
In 1940, the credit union was established as a financial resource for the employees and families of the Florida Industrial Commission, later renamed the Florida Department of Commerce. Driven by the credit union philosophy of people helping people, the charter's original mission was to provide a place where members could pool their financial resources for mutual benefit.
As the Department of Commerce grew and evolved, so did the credit union. New services were added, additional employees were hired, our services extended to employees of the Department of Labor and the credit union relocated to its first building in the Office Plaza Center. Over the past four decades, we’ve expanded our field of membership, added numerous branches and incorporated the latest technologies to better serve you.
In June 1997, First Commerce changed from a federal charter to a state charter in order to offer membership to Floridians who didn’t have a credit union available to them. Today, First Commerce serves members in North Florida and South Georgia.
Just as our membership becomes more diversified each year, so do our products and services. We continue to seek opportunities to better serve our members by delivering exceptional service, up-to-date technology, and products that truly fit your needs.
With more than 140 team members serving over 50,000 members, First Commerce's success is evident by its sustained growth. The credit union has also been recognized with several awards over the years, including the following:
- 2013-2018: Named Dora Maxwell Award winner by the League of Southeastern Credit Unions for demonstrating the “people helping people” philosophy through community efforts
- 2018: Voted Best Credit Union in Tallahassee (Tallahassee Democrat’s Demo awards)
- 2018: Tally Award for the People's Choice in the financial institution category
- 2018: Received Diamond Award from Credit Union National Association Marketing & Business Development Council for Power Forward with Airbnb's Chip Conley Announcement video
- 2017: Named national honorable mention of the Credit Union National Association’s Dora Maxwell Social Responsibility Community Service Award for demonstrating the “people helping people” philosophy through community efforts
- 2017: Presented with the inaugural Diversity and Inclusion Leadership Award by the Tallahassee Women Lawyers
- 2013, 2015-2017: Named Louise Herring Award winner by the League of Southeastern Credit Unions for the practical application of credit union philosophy through internal programs to improve members’ lives
- 2016: Named national 2nd place winner of the Credit Union National Association’s Desjardins Adult Financial Education Award, for our FCCU Foundation’s work to teach personal finance concepts in the communities we serve, including through our area colleges/universities
- 2016: Voted Best Financial Institution in Tallahassee (Tallahassee Democrat’s Demo awards)
- 2016: Named one of America's Top 200 Healthiest Credit Unions by DepositAccounts.com. At #73 out of 6,003 total federally insured credit unions, First Commerce is the only Tallahassee-based credit union on the list.
- 2003-present: #1 Auto Lender in Tallahassee (Source: AutoCount®)
- 2016: Presented with Credit Union National Association’s Diamond Award, recognizing outstanding marketing and business development achievements in the credit union industry, in the Community/PR–Ongoing Event category for the Power Forward Speaker Series
- 2016: Named Desjardins Adult Financial Education Award winner by the League of Southeastern Credit Unions
- 2016: Voted Best Credit Union in Jackson County (Jackson County Floridan newspaper readers poll)
- 2015: EvenUp account named a Top 10 savings accounts in the nation by GOBankingRates
- 2015: Named national 1st place winner of the Credit Union National Association’s Louise Herring Award, for the practical application of credit union philosophy through internal programs to improve members’ lives, for our MyWay program for 18-29 year olds
- 2015 - present: Voted Best Credit Union and Financial Advisor (Six Pillars) in Tallahassee (Tallahassee Magazine readers poll)
- 2013-present: Six Pillars Financial Advisors, a subsidiary of First Commerce, voted “Best Financial Advisor” in Tallahassee (Tallahassee Magazine readers poll)
- 2012-2015: #1 Home Equity Lender in Tallahassee
- 2014: Named “Credit Union of the Year” by the League of Southeastern Credit Unions for outstanding achievements in financial strength, improved services, educational efforts, and community service.
- 2014: Voted Best Financial Institution and Best Credit Union (Tallahassee Magazine readers poll)
- 2014: Named Top Credit Union of the Year for Fiscal Year 2014 by the Small Business Administration’s (SBA’s) North Florida District Office
- 2009: Rated by the IDC as part of the top 10% of credit unions in the nation and second highest in the state of Florida
- 2007: Tally Award for the People's Choice in the financial institution category
- 2004-2007: "Best of Tallahassee" in the credit union category (Tallahassee Magazine readers poll)
- 1993: National Credit Union of the Year (National Association of Federal Credit Unions)
We are committed to being your financial partner for life. Because at First Commerce, we realize the Power of You!
Credit Union Philosophy
While banks and credit unions generally offer the same types of products and services, there is a world of difference in the philosophy and quality of service which credit unions provide to their members. That’s because credit unions are financial cooperatives founded on the principle of people helping people, returning profits to members in the form of higher savings rates, lower loan rates and fewer fees – not lining the pockets of shareholders like banks. The credit union motto is: "Not for profit, not for charity, but for service."
- Are not-for-profit financial cooperatives.
- Are owned by the very people they serve.
- Exist solely to serve their members, not to enrich an outside group of stockholders.
- Return operating income to members in the form of higher savings rates, lower loan rates and fewer fees.
- Are an example of democracy in action: as a member, you’re an owner with an equal vote in electing the credit union’s volunteer board of directors.
We work hard to provide our members a great experience. But don’t just take our word for it, take theirs! These are stories real members have shared about their experience with First Commerce. We’d love to hear your story too!
“Your team member has been extremely patient and understanding while guiding me through the car buying experience. This is the first time that I’ve had to do this on my own and it would have been overwhelming had it not been for her. She offered numerous options to me for obtaining a loan and gave me the flexibility on monthly payments so that I could still feed my child! This has been a wonderful experience with an expert in providing excellent member service. She is a great example of what keeps me coming to the credit union.”
“It is such a great feeling to come in to the teller line or go through the drive-through at First Commerce. The tellers always provide the most professional service in a warm, friendly and competent manner. They go the extra step to inquire about me personally and ask how I’m doing. These days this type of behavior is truly unexpected. Your employees make me feel welcome and that my business is truly appreciated.”
“After some confusion related to a car title, your team member took time to track down a non-member and take documents to his office for his signature on the title. This was way beyond the scope of her job duties, but she did it anyway to help me. Her actions were great, but it was her attitude that was so impressive. She is a wonderful example of the team spirit that makes First Commerce great!”